Monday, May 19, 2014

Nature-Deficit Disorder and The Restorative Environment - Richard Louv





"More time in nature---- combined with less television  and more stimulating play and educational settings ---- may go a long way  toward reducing attention deficits in children, and just as important, increasing their joy in life" (Louv,10)
My sisters and I when we were young.
After a long day of climbing the "orange tree"
Photo by: Yaritza Guzman
Though many people might not view it this way, I believe that spending time outdoors is great therapy. Our society today, is so caught up in the idea of technology. I feel that overtime, we have really forgotten what it is like to play outside. To go run around and feel the grass between your toes, and smell the fresh breeze in the air. I can remember growing up, I would play outside with my sisters for hours at a time. Our favorite thing to do was climb the orange tree we had in our backyard. It is one of the fondest memories I have of my childhood. So, I can agree with this statement. Playing outside can benefit children with attention deficits because it allows them to burn their energy. Not only can it benefit them, but it can create some of the greatest memories in their life. You cannot get the same benefits of playing outside from watching television.

"To take nature and natural play away from children may be tantamount to withholding oxygen."  (Louv ,11)

http://idptv.state.id.us/dialogue4kids/season10/outdoored/teachers.cfm
While I do not agree that this quote applies to everyone, I understand what Louv is trying say. If there is evidence to suggest that nature therapy indeed works, why are we not doing it? Louv is arguing the importance of nature in a child's life and how it is beneficial for all.  I agree that nature and playing outdoors are crucial for children. For instance, it keeps them active. Obesity is a growing concern in our society. Too many children are focused on watching television, and playing videogames. To add on, a lot of physical education classes and recess programs are getting cut from schools. Slowly but surely, we are taking away
nature play from children. Consequently, it can be detrimental to their overall well being.

"Anyone who has spent much time around addicts or gang members understands how disarming---and manipulative they can be. Yet on this afternoon, I saw no evidence of con artist in their eyes." (Louv,14)

What stood out to me about this quote, was the impact that nature can have on someone's life. We all come from different paths, but we each can have an admiration or appreciation of nature in some way. Louv gives some examples of the troubled youth who were sent to a restorative program. Many of them had not experienced nature. Once they did, they each found something they admired.What I love most about being outside is watching the sunset. It amazes me just how beautiful the sky can look .

http://robertfinkelstein.wordpress.com/quotes-and-images/sunset-puerto-rico/

No comments:

Post a Comment